Who we are
Stavvy is working to transform the real estate buying and lending process for borrowers, their lenders, and the vendors used throughout the process. Whether we are working to enable title companies to facilitate remote closings in a safe way, or better connecting lenders with the businesses they use during the home buying process, people at Stavvy are disruptors at heart. Our team is constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to truly connect all stakeholders throughout the real estate transaction process in meaningful ways.
In the newly formed VP of Legal role, you will be an integral part of Stavvy as we continue to grow. You will be a generalist and responsible for overseeing the representation of Stavvy and work as part of the leadership team to achieve key business objectives and assist in developing compelling product and service offerings that meet all relevant legal and regulatory requirements. You will report into Kosta Ligris, Stavvy’s co-founder and acting counsel and work with our outside counsel on a variety of matters.
You have 8+ years of experience at firms or a combination of law firm(s) and in-house experience representing or working at technology companies. You have an active bar license that is in good standing in at least one jurisdiction in the United States and a JD from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
In this role, you will:
- Serve as a legal, compliance and business advisor to the executive/senior leadership team and the board on a wide variety of matters, including data privacy, intellectual property, cybersecurity, and consumer protection.
- Oversee administration of Board activities and the corporate records of the organization relating to action taken at Board and Committee meetings.
- Collaborate with clients on the legal implications of technical activities, private sector engagements, government engagements, standards development, and other security related activities;
- Provide compliance expertise and collaborate closely with cross-functional partners to oversee state run third-party risk management processes;
- Undertake special projects and support other compliance program initiatives, as needed
- Draft, negotiate, and examine agreements, such as strategic partnership opportunities, vendor contracts, and supplier agreements;
- Provide strategic and practical guidance relating to M&A, financing, real estate transactions
- Lead and advise on different business initiatives and legal requirements of the Company as our in-house legal expert; and
- Liaise with outside counsel to improve efficient communications and maximize value;
- Research and lead legal issues that are key to the growth of our business as well as develop solutions.
- Leverage your strong business acumen to review and advise on partnership, licensing, and othersale agreements
- Work out of our Newton, MA office, and travel domestically and internationally, as needed - estimated to be no more than 20% of the time.
What’s nice for you to have:
- Comfort with discussing technical issues associated with privacy, cybersecurity, and software assurance
- Experience with cybersecurity law, breach response, threat intelligence, or software security legal issues
- Excellent cross-group collaborator with strong organizational skills, quickly understanding and meeting needs of customer and peer teams
- Ability to effectively multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to work with colleagues, clients, and others in timezones other than where the position is based
This is an exciting opportunity to be the first legal hire at a growing FinTech organization and you will play a pivotal role in shaping the future and creating the future team including specialists in compliance, eSign, remote notarization, consumer lending, and title insurance.